Can excessive exercise increase my risk of osteoporosis?

Harris H. McIlwain, MD
Rheumatology
Gymnasts, long-distance runners, and other athletes who exercise vigorously in the course of demanding physical training, are at a greater risk for osteoporosis. This may be due to producing lower levels of estrogen and changes in their menstrual periods.
Stop Osteoarthritis Now: Halting the Baby Boomers' Disease

What exactly is this debilitating disease? It is an inflammation in or around the joints caused by wear and tear on the cartilage and bone, resulting in pain, swelling, or stiffness in the back,...

Continue Learning about Osteoporosis Causes & Risks

How do I know if I’m at risk for osteoporosis?
Debra Fulghum Bruce PhDDebra Fulghum Bruce PhD
It’s important to know that it is never too late to try to prevent fractures, but the most importa...
How does a family history of osteoporosis affect my risk?
Harris H. McIlwain, MDHarris H. McIlwain, MD
If a natural or biological relative has had a broken hip, frequent fractures, loss of height, or...
What is the cause of type 1 osteoporosis?
Type 1 osteoporosis is caused by a lack of estrogen, the main female hormone. At menopause, the leve...
The Link Between Sleep Apnea and Osteoporosis