Does osteoporosis run in families?

Osteoporosis does run in families. Having a family member with osteoporosis increases your risk of having osteoporosis. However, having a family member with osteoporosis does not guarantee that you will have it also. It is especially important to strengthen your bones through exercise and a healthy diet if you have this risk factor.

Continue Learning about Osteoporosis Causes & Risks

What are some of the risk factors for osteoporosis in men?
David Slovik, MDDavid Slovik, MD
The risk factors for osteoporosis that are particularly relevant to men include the following: ...
How can my diet affect my risk for osteoporosis?
David Slovik, MDDavid Slovik, MD
What you eat early in life has a lot to do with the state of your bones later on. Research indic...
What are the risk factors for osteoporosis?
Debra Fulghum Bruce PhDDebra Fulghum Bruce PhD
It’s important to know your risk for osteoporosis. There are some risk factors you cannot change...
The Link Between Sleep Apnea and Osteoporosis