Can a diet high in animal protein contribute to bone loss?

A diet too high in animal protein such as meat and fish may be a key player in bone loss. Protein is made up of amino acids. When digested in the body, they increase the acidity of the blood. One of the substances the body releases to neutralize acid usually is available is calcium, which is stored in the bones. Several studies show that as protein consumption increases, so does calcium excretion in the urine. To reduce this effect on bone loss, limit the amount of animal protein you eat each day, or replace it with soy protein, which may protect against the increased risk of fractures.
The Osteoporosis Cure: Reverse the Crippling Effects With New Treatments

Once considered a progressive, incurable disease, osteoporosis can be prevented and/or treated in both early and later stages thanks to recent breakthroughs and medical developments. Now a medical...

Continue Learning about Osteoporosis Causes & Risks

What increases my risk for osteoporosis?
There are many risk factors for osteoporosis. There are some that do not have a clear mechanism for ...
Do I increase my risk of osteoporosis if I drink alcohol?
Harris H. McIlwain, MDHarris H. McIlwain, MD
Excessive alcohol intake can increase your risk of osteoporosis and fractures. The exact amount ...
Who should get tested for osteoporosis?
David Slovik, MDDavid Slovik, MD
Screenings for osteoporosis are not routinely given to everyone; instead, they are done on an in...
The Link Between Sleep Apnea and Osteoporosis