Does having a chronic lung disease increase my risk of osteoporosis?

Yes. Smoking in general raises the risk of developing osteoporosis. Some medications like prednisone and other cortisone drugs that are used to treat chronic lung diseases such as chronic bronchitis and emphysema can increase the risk of osteoporosis when taken long-term. Remove what risk factors you can, and get a bone-density test to assess your bone strength so you can take the steps needed for prevention and treatment of osteoporosis.
Stop Osteoarthritis Now: Halting the Baby Boomers' Disease

What exactly is this debilitating disease? It is an inflammation in or around the joints caused by wear and tear on the cartilage and bone, resulting in pain, swelling, or stiffness in the back,...

Continue Learning about Osteoporosis Causes & Risks

Why are men less prone to bone loss than women?
David Slovik, MDDavid Slovik, MD
Two factors make men less vulnerable than women to bone loss: they have a greater bone density a...
Do low estrogen levels increase a woman's risk for osteoporosis?
David Slovik, MDDavid Slovik, MD
Since estrogen retards bone resorption, women who are past menopause or those who have had their...
Does having rheumatoid arthritis increase my risk of osteoporosis?
Debra Fulghum Bruce PhDDebra Fulghum Bruce PhD
Yes; people with rheumatoid arthritis often take prednisone, which increases the risk of osteopo...
The Link Between Sleep Apnea and Osteoporosis