Can having multiple sclerosis (MS) increase my risk of osteoporosis?

According to the National Osteoporosis Foundation (NOF), multiple sclerosis (MS) is among several diseases that can lead to osteoporosis. Risk factors for low bone density include the use of steroids to combat inflammation, such as prednisone and cortisone. Because weight-bearing exercise strengthens bones, people who are bedridden or inactive are at higher risk for the condition. Although 80 percent of people with osteoporosis are women, men over the age of 50 are more likely to break a bone because of the condition than they are to get prostate cancer, according to NOF.

Depending on your gender and medical history, your doctor may want to do regular tests to monitor your bone health.

Continue Learning about Osteoporosis Causes & Risks

How can growths around a joint lead to osteoporosis?
Baptist Health South FloridaBaptist Health South Florida
Researchers believe that most osteoarthritis problems happen because of the breakdown or decay o...
Can a high-sodium diet cause bone loss?
Debra Fulghum Bruce PhDDebra Fulghum Bruce PhD
Some studies show that restricting sodium reduces the body’s calcium excretion and may reduce bo...
Do I increase my risk of osteoporosis if I drink alcohol?
Harris H. McIlwain, MDHarris H. McIlwain, MD
Excessive alcohol intake can increase your risk of osteoporosis and fractures. The exact amount ...
The Link Between Sleep Apnea and Osteoporosis