How does a bone fracture after age 40 affect my risk of osteoporosis?

Harris H. McIlwain, MD
Rheumatology
Researchers found that if you have a fracture after age 40, your risk of having another fracture is about twice as high as normal. The reasons for this are not known.
Stop Osteoarthritis Now: Halting the Baby Boomers' Disease

What exactly is this debilitating disease? It is an inflammation in or around the joints caused by wear and tear on the cartilage and bone, resulting in pain, swelling, or stiffness in the back,...

Continue Learning about Osteoporosis Causes & Risks

What increases my risk for osteoporosis?
There are many risk factors for osteoporosis. There are some that do not have a clear mechanism for ...
What foods could contribute to bone loss?
Debra Fulghum Bruce PhDDebra Fulghum Bruce PhD
Chocolate, caffeine, colas, animal protein, and high-sodium foods are considered “bone robbers” ...
What are my chances of getting osteoporosis?
Kelly TraverKelly Traver
There is a one-in-two chance that a woman will have an osteoporosis-related fracture in her lifetime...
The Link Between Sleep Apnea and Osteoporosis