Can taking antacids increase my risk of osteoporosis?

Antacids are not dangerous when taken for quick relief for an upset stomach. However, if taken in high doses, some antacids can cause bone loss. Bone-robbing antacids contain aluminum, causing an excessive loss of calcium from the body. To replace the loss, our bodies then remove calcium from the bones. If you must take high doses of antacids, be sure to intake about 1,500 mg of calcium daily through diet and supplements and about 800 IU of vitamin D.
Stop Osteoarthritis Now: Halting the Baby Boomers' Disease

What exactly is this debilitating disease? It is an inflammation in or around the joints caused by wear and tear on the cartilage and bone, resulting in pain, swelling, or stiffness in the back,...

Continue Learning about Osteoporosis Causes & Risks

Can taking thyroid medication increase my risk of osteoporosis?
Debra Fulghum Bruce PhDDebra Fulghum Bruce PhD
Although essential for people with an underactive thyroid, thyroid medication can cause osteopor...
How does my risk of osteoporosis increase as I age?
Audrey K. Chun, MDAudrey K. Chun, MD
Healthy bones are in a state of continuous breakdown and rebuilding. This process is called remo...
Who is most at risk for developing osteoporosis?
More than 28 million Americans either have osteoporosis or are at risk of it, but the disease primar...
The Link Between Sleep Apnea and Osteoporosis