Can taking antacids increase my risk of osteoporosis?

Antacids are not dangerous when taken for quick relief for an upset stomach. However, if taken in high doses, some antacids can cause bone loss. Bone-robbing antacids contain aluminum, causing an excessive loss of calcium from the body. To replace the loss, our bodies then remove calcium from the bones. If you must take high doses of antacids, be sure to intake about 1,500 mg of calcium daily through diet and supplements and about 800 IU of vitamin D.
Stop Osteoarthritis Now: Halting the Baby Boomers' Disease

What exactly is this debilitating disease? It is an inflammation in or around the joints caused by wear and tear on the cartilage and bone, resulting in pain, swelling, or stiffness in the back,...

Continue Learning about Osteoporosis Causes & Risks

Why are women more likely than men to have osteoporosis?
Eric OlsenEric Olsen
Why women are more prone to osteoporosis and lose bone mass more rapidly than men isn't fully un...
What medical problems can increase my risk of osteoporosis?
David Slovik, MDDavid Slovik, MD
Congenital disorders that affect bone mass over a lifetime, such as Marfan's syndrome, Ehlers-Da...
Does osteoporosis run in families?
Osteoporosis does run in families. Having a family member with osteoporosis increases your risk of h...
The Link Between Sleep Apnea and Osteoporosis