What should I do if I'm taking a bisphosphonate?

The class of osteoporosis drugs called the bisphosphonates might lead to deterioration and death of the jawbone (a condition called osteonecrosis) after dental procedures. Your dentist, periodontist, or oral surgeon will discuss this with you. Any dental procedure should be completed before bisphosphonate therapy is begun. If dental procedures are absolutely needed, you should consult with your doctor about alternatives to the bisphosphonates and if changing or discontinuing treatment is appropriate for you.

Continue Learning about Osteonecrosis

How do I prevent osteonecrosis of the jaw?
Osteonecrosis (osteo means "bone" and necrosis means "death of") of the jaw can happen in certain “a...
How do medications treat osteonecrosis?
There are two types of medication prescribed for osteonecrosis. Non-steroidal anti-inflammatory drug...
What is osteonecrosis of the jaw?
American Dental AssociationAmerican Dental Association
In some patients who have taken bisphosphonates and denosumab (osteoporosis medication), a condi...
Should I talk to my doctor about my osteonecrosis symptoms?
You should talk to your doctor if you have any concerns that you may be suffering from osteonecrosis...