What should I do if I'm taking a bisphosphonate?

The class of osteoporosis drugs called the bisphosphonates might lead to deterioration and death of the jawbone (a condition called osteonecrosis) after dental procedures. Your dentist, periodontist, or oral surgeon will discuss this with you. Any dental procedure should be completed before bisphosphonate therapy is begun. If dental procedures are absolutely needed, you should consult with your doctor about alternatives to the bisphosphonates and if changing or discontinuing treatment is appropriate for you.

Continue Learning about Osteonecrosis

What increases the risk for osteonecrosis?
Todd A. Welch, DMDTodd A. Welch, DMD
If you use a bisphosphonate medication—to prevent or treat osteoporosis (a thinning of the bones) o...
What is osteonecrosis of the jaw?
American Dental AssociationAmerican Dental Association
In some patients who have taken bisphosphonates and denosumab (osteoporosis medication), a condi...
Is hip replacement the only solution to avascular necrosis of the hip?
Marc Richard, MDMarc Richard, MD
Avascular necrosis (AVN) of the hip is a debilitating condition resulting from insufficient blood fl...
How is osteonecrosis of the jaw treated?
Treatments for osteonecrosis of the jaw (a serious condition that involves severe loss, or destr...