What is osteonecrosis of the jaw?

In some patients who have taken bisphosphonates and denosumab (osteoporosis medication), a condition known as osteonecrosis of the jaw (also called ONJ) has been reported. Osteonecrosis of the jaw is a rare but serious condition that can cause severe damage to the jawbone. Osteonecrosis of the jaw is diagnosed in a patient who:

1. has an area of exposed bone in the jaw that lasts for more than 8 weeks
2. has no history of radiation therapy to the head and neck
3. is taking, or has taken, certain osteoporosis medicines

Continue Learning about Osteonecrosis

Are there alternative treatments for osteonecrosis?
Surgery to replace or repair the affected joint is the most common treatment for osteonecrosis of th...
Should I talk to my doctor about my osteonecrosis symptoms?
You should talk to your doctor if you have any concerns that you may be suffering from osteonecrosis...
How do I manage my osteonecrosis on a daily basis?
You can manage the symptoms of osteonecrosis on a daily basis by using prescription non-steroidal an...
Is hip replacement the only solution to avascular necrosis of the hip?
Marc Richard, MDMarc Richard, MD
Avascular necrosis (AVN) of the hip is a debilitating condition resulting from insufficient blood fl...