What are the treatment options for osteonecrosis (avascular necrosis)?

Avascular necrosis (or osteonecrosis) is the death of bone tissue due to a lack of blood supply. This can lead to tiny breaks in the bone and the bone's eventual collapse. Avascular necrosis most often affects the head of the thighbone (femur), but it may also affect other bones. Treatment includes:
  • Core decompression, a procedure in which a surgeon percutaneously removes part of the inner layer of the bone.
  • Injection of one's own harvested bone marrow stem cells, along with demineralized bone matrix.
  • Injection of parathyroid hormone -- PTH (1-34) followed by biphosphonates.

Nonsteroidal anti-inflammatory drugs (NSAIDs) and bisphosphonates such as Fosamax are used to relieve pain and slow down the progression of the osteonecrosis. Other treatment options include physical therapy, electrical stimulation to the affected bone, and plenty of rest. If the disease has advanced, your doctor may recommend a bone transplant, bone reshaping, or joint replacement.

Continue Learning about Osteonecrosis

What should I know about caring for someone with osteonecrosis?
If you are caring for someone with osteonecrosis, you will need to be aware of their symptoms. You w...
How do medications treat osteonecrosis?
There are two types of medication prescribed for osteonecrosis. Non-steroidal anti-inflammatory drug...
What is osteonecrosis (avascular necrosis)?
Francisco J. Borja, MDFrancisco J. Borja, MD
Avascular necrosis, also known as osteonecrosis, is a painful condition that occurs when the blood s...
How do I manage my osteonecrosis on a daily basis?
You can manage the symptoms of osteonecrosis on a daily basis by using prescription non-steroidal an...