What are the symptoms of osteonecrosis of the jaw?

Osteonecrosis of the jaw is a rare but serious condition that involves severe loss, or destruction, of the jawbone. Symptoms include, but are not limited to:

• Pain, swelling, or infection of the gums or jaw
  • Gums that are not healing
  • Loose teeth
  • Numbness or a feeling of heaviness in the jaw
  • Drainage
  • Exposed bone

Continue Learning about Osteonecrosis

How do I manage my osteonecrosis on a daily basis?
You can manage the symptoms of osteonecrosis on a daily basis by using prescription non-steroidal an...
What are the treatment options for osteonecrosis (avascular necrosis)?
NewYork-Presbyterian HospitalNewYork-Presbyterian Hospital
Avascular necrosis (or osteonecrosis) is the death of bone tissue due to a lack of blood supply. Thi...
Are there alternative treatments for osteonecrosis?
Surgery to replace or repair the affected joint is the most common treatment for osteonecrosis of th...
What increases the risk for osteonecrosis?
One of the two main risk factors for non-injury-related osteonecrosis is the long-term use of cortic...