What are the symptoms of osteonecrosis?

There may be no symptoms in the early stages of osteonecrosis. Over a period of months, as bones begin to deteriorate, osteonecrosis typically causes minimal to severe pain and restricts movement in the affected joints. The joint may even become unusable.

The hips are the most commonly affected joints, but ankles, knees, shoulders and wrists may also be affected. The disease often affects only one joint, though it is not uncommon for bilateral joints to be affected-for example, both shoulders or both hips.

Continue Learning about Osteonecrosis

What are the treatment options for osteonecrosis (avascular necrosis)?
NewYork-Presbyterian HospitalNewYork-Presbyterian Hospital
Avascular necrosis (or osteonecrosis) is the death of bone tissue due to a lack of blood supply. Thi...
Should I talk to my doctor about my osteonecrosis symptoms?
You should talk to your doctor if you have any concerns that you may be suffering from osteonecrosis...
What is osteonecrosis (avascular necrosis)?
Francisco J. Borja, MDFrancisco J. Borja, MD
Avascular necrosis, also known as osteonecrosis, is a painful condition that occurs when the blood s...
How do I prevent osteonecrosis of the jaw?
Osteonecrosis (osteo means "bone" and necrosis means "death of") of the jaw can happen in certain “a...