What is my risk for osteonecrosis if I take an oral bisphosphonate?

Be sure to tell your dentist if you are taking medications for osteoporosis, including oral bisphosphonates, so he or she can take that into account when developing your treatment plan. 

It’s not possible to say who will develop osteonecrosis and who will not from those who take these types of medications. However, the risk is considered low.

It may be beneficial for anyone who will be starting osteoporosis treatment with oral bisphosphonates to see their dentist before beginning treatment or shortly after. This way, you and your dentist can ensure that you have good oral health going into treatment and develop a plan that will keep your mouth healthy during treatment.
The American Dental Association has reported that the risk of developing osteonecrosis from taking oral bisphosphonates is "low" compared to intravenous bisphosphonates. It is not clear why the risk differs between oral and intravenous versions of the drug class.

Continue Learning about Osteonecrosis

How is osteonecrosis of the jaw treated?
American Dental AssociationAmerican Dental Association
Treatments for osteonecrosis of the jaw (a serious condition that involves severe loss, or destr...
Should I talk to my doctor about my osteonecrosis symptoms?
You should talk to your doctor if you have any concerns that you may be suffering from osteonecrosis...
How is avascular necrosis diagnosed?
Francisco J. Borja, MDFrancisco J. Borja, MD
To diagnose avascular necrosis (osteonecrosis), your doctor will examine your hip to assess motion, ...
Can osteonecrosis be prevented?
Osteonecrosis can be caused by prolonged use of corticosteroids. In order to prevent this from happe...