What is my risk for osteonecrosis if I take an oral bisphosphonate?

The American Dental Association has reported that the risk of developing osteonecrosis from taking oral bisphosphonates is "low" compared to intravenous bisphosphonates. It is not clear why the risk differs between oral and intravenous versions of the drug class.
Be sure to tell your dentist if you are taking medications for osteoporosis, including oral bisphosphonates, so he or she can take that into account when developing your treatment plan. 

It’s not possible to say who will develop osteonecrosis and who will not from those who take these types of medications. However, the risk is considered low.

It may be beneficial for anyone who will be starting osteoporosis treatment with oral bisphosphonates to see their dentist before beginning treatment or shortly after. This way, you and your dentist can ensure that you have good oral health going into treatment and develop a plan that will keep your mouth healthy during treatment.

Continue Learning about Osteonecrosis

Is hip replacement the only solution to avascular necrosis of the hip?
Marc Richard, MDMarc Richard, MD
Avascular necrosis (AVN) of the hip is a debilitating condition resulting from insufficient blood fl...
What are the symptoms of osteonecrosis of the jaw?
American Dental AssociationAmerican Dental Association
Osteonecrosis of the jaw is a rare but serious condition that involves severe loss, or destructi...
What should I know about caring for someone with osteonecrosis?
If you are caring for someone with osteonecrosis, you will need to be aware of their symptoms. You w...
How do I prevent osteonecrosis of the jaw?
Osteonecrosis (osteo means "bone" and necrosis means "death of") of the jaw can happen in certain “a...