How does osteonecrosis affect the body?

The reduced blood supply to the bones caused by osteonecrosis causes bone tissue to die. This often happens at the tips of the femur-the bone which runs between the knee and hip joints. When bone death happens near a joint, the bone will ultimately collapse, affecting the joint surface. The disease causes pain and restricted mobility in the affected joint. The disease may affect one or more joints at the same or different times.

Continue Learning about Osteonecrosis

Should I talk to my doctor about my osteonecrosis symptoms?
You should talk to your doctor if you have any concerns that you may be suffering from osteonecrosis...
What is avascular necrosis of the lunate?
National Athletic Trainers' AssociationNational Athletic Trainers' Association
Avascular necrosis is caused by a previous acute injury to the wrist that may have gone untreate...
Are there alternative treatments for osteonecrosis?
Surgery to replace or repair the affected joint is the most common treatment for osteonecrosis of th...
What are the symptoms of osteonecrosis of the jaw?
American Dental AssociationAmerican Dental Association
Osteonecrosis of the jaw is a rare but serious condition that involves severe loss, or destructi...