How is osteonecrosis of the jaw treated?

Treatments for osteonecrosis of the jaw (a serious condition that involves severe loss, or destruction, of the jawbone) may include antibiotics, oral rinses and removable mouth appliances. Minor dental work may be necessary to remove injured tissue and reduce sharp edges of damaged bone. Surgery is typically avoided because it may make the condition worse.

Continue Learning about Osteonecrosis

How do I prevent osteonecrosis of the jaw?
Osteonecrosis (osteo means "bone" and necrosis means "death of") of the jaw can happen in certain “a...
What should I know about caring for someone with osteonecrosis?
If you are caring for someone with osteonecrosis, you will need to be aware of their symptoms. You w...
What is osteonecrosis (avascular necrosis)?
Francisco J. Borja, MDFrancisco J. Borja, MD
Avascular necrosis, also known as osteonecrosis, is a painful condition that occurs when the blood s...
What causes osteonecrosis (avascular necrosis)?
Karen L. Gorton, PhD, MS, RNKaren L. Gorton, PhD, MS, RN
Avascular necrosis (or osteonecrosis) is defined as a lack of blood flow which causes tissue death. ...