How is osteonecrosis of the jaw treated?

Treatments for osteonecrosis of the jaw (a serious condition that involves severe loss, or destruction, of the jawbone) may include antibiotics, oral rinses and removable mouth appliances. Minor dental work may be necessary to remove injured tissue and reduce sharp edges of damaged bone. Surgery is typically avoided because it may make the condition worse.

Continue Learning about Osteonecrosis

What is my risk for osteonecrosis if I take an oral bisphosphonate?
American Dental AssociationAmerican Dental Association
Be sure to tell your dentist if you are taking medications for osteoporosis, including oral bisphosp...
How do I prevent osteonecrosis of the jaw?
It’s not possible to say who will develop osteonecrosis of the jaw (also called ONJ) and who will no...
Is hip replacement the only solution to avascular necrosis of the hip?
Marc Richard, MDMarc Richard, MD
Avascular necrosis (AVN) of the hip is a debilitating condition resulting from insufficient blood fl...
Can osteonecrosis be prevented?
Osteonecrosis can be caused by prolonged use of corticosteroids. In order to prevent this from happe...