How is avascular necrosis diagnosed?

Francisco J. Borja, MD
Orthopedic Surgery
To diagnose avascular necrosis (osteonecrosis), your doctor will examine your hip to assess motion, stability, and strength. X-rays can help determine the extent of damage to your bones. Occasionally blood tests, an MRI, or a bone scan may be needed to determine the condition of the bone and soft tissues. 

Continue Learning about Osteonecrosis

Is hip replacement the only solution to avascular necrosis of the hip?
Marc Richard, MDMarc Richard, MD
Avascular necrosis (AVN) of the hip is a debilitating condition resulting from insufficient blood fl...
How do I manage my osteonecrosis on a daily basis?
You can manage the symptoms of osteonecrosis on a daily basis by using prescription non-steroidal an...
What are the symptoms of osteonecrosis of the jaw?
American Dental AssociationAmerican Dental Association
Osteonecrosis of the jaw is a rare but serious condition that involves severe loss, or destructi...
What causes osteonecrosis (avascular necrosis)?
Karen L. Gorton, PhD, MS, RNKaren L. Gorton, PhD, MS, RN
Avascular necrosis (or osteonecrosis) is defined as a lack of blood flow which causes tissue death. ...