How do I prevent osteonecrosis of the jaw?

It’s not possible to say who will develop osteonecrosis of the jaw (also called ONJ) and who will not. In some patients who have been treated with certain osteoporosis medications called bone-modifying agents, ONJ has been reported.
ONJ is a rare, but serious condition that can cause severe damage to the jawbone. Most people (94 percent) diagnosed with ONJ are patients with cancer who are receiving or have received repeated high doses of certain osteoporosis medications through an intravenous infusion. If you are taking one of these medications for treatment of osteoporosis, your chance of developing ONJ is unknown. However, researchers agree that the chance appears to be very small.

Tell your dentist if you are taking one of these drugs. Your dentist will show you good oral hygiene practices, as well as monitor your oral health while you are being treated.
Osteonecrosis (osteo means "bone" and necrosis means "death of") of the jaw can happen in certain “at risk”people who have dental procedures such as extractions or implants. You are more at risk  if you are taking a class of drugs called the bisphosphonates, especially the intravenous formulation. There are some things you can do to prevent this from happening:
  • Consult your dentist about how to maintain good oral hygiene. This can reduce your risk of infection and osteonecrosis.
  • Make sure your dentist properly adjusts your removable dentures. This can help reduce the risk of harm to the soft tissues in your mouth.
  • Have your teeth cleaned professionally at regular intervals.
  • Make sure your dentist knows about any pain or signs of infection you may have.
  • Discuss with your dentist any alternatives to implants or extractions,

Continue Learning about Osteonecrosis

What is osteonecrosis of the jaw?
American Dental AssociationAmerican Dental Association
In some patients who have taken bisphosphonates and denosumab (osteoporosis medication), a condi...
What is osteonecrosis (avascular necrosis)?
Francisco J. Borja, MDFrancisco J. Borja, MD
Avascular necrosis, also known as osteonecrosis, is a painful condition that occurs when the blood s...
What is my risk for osteonecrosis if I take an oral bisphosphonate?
Be sure to tell your dentist if you are taking medications for osteoporosis, including oral bisphosp...
What are the symptoms of osteonecrosis of the jaw?
Osteonecrosis of the jaw is a rare but serious condition that involves severe loss, or destructi...