Are there alternative treatments for osteonecrosis?

Surgery to replace or repair the affected joint is the most common treatment for osteonecrosis of the hip, but is used less often for osteonecrosis of the knee or shoulder. Other possible treatments include:

• Exercise to increase range of motion
  • Electrical stimulation to induce bone growth
  • Surface replacement arthroplasty (SRA) for osteonecrosis of the hip is an alternative to complete hip replacement and involves the surgical placement of metal caps on the head of the femur and the hip bone socket to strengthen them. A second treatment -- hemi-SRA -- involves capping only the femoral head. This helps to reduce wear on the joint. These procedures are not performed as often as they had been in the past, as they have not been as successful as originally hoped.

Continue Learning about Osteonecrosis

What are the symptoms of osteonecrosis?
There may be no symptoms in the early stages of osteonecrosis. Over a period of months, as bones beg...
How do I prevent osteonecrosis of the jaw?
Osteonecrosis (osteo means "bone" and necrosis means "death of") of the jaw can happen in certain “a...
How is avascular necrosis diagnosed?
Francisco J. Borja, MDFrancisco J. Borja, MD
To diagnose avascular necrosis (osteonecrosis), your doctor will examine your hip to assess motion, ...
How do I manage my osteonecrosis on a daily basis?
You can manage the symptoms of osteonecrosis on a daily basis by using prescription non-steroidal an...