What increases my risk of developing osteomalacia?

Lack of sunlight can increase your risk of developing osteomalacia because sunlight aids in vitamin D production in the body. A diet lacking in vitamin D-rich foods can also increase your risk. Low calcium and phosphate intake can also put you at risk. Certain diseases and surgeries that affect the stomach, kidney, liver, and small intestine can make you more prone to developing osteomalacia, too.

Continue Learning about Osteomalacia

What do I need to know about caring for someone with osteomalacia?
If you are caring for someone with osteomalacia, be aware of their pain and symptoms. Achiness in th...
How does osteomalacia affect the body?
Osteomalacia causes the bones to become soft, which can lead to pain and bone deformity. Bones need ...
What are the treatment options for osteomalacia?
The most common treatment for osteomalacia is to work on increasing the levels of vitamin D in the b...
Should I talk to my doctor about my osteomalacia symptoms?
Talk to your doctor about achiness in your bones as well as any changes in your muscle mass or your ...