How does osteomalacia affect the body?

Osteomalacia causes the bones to become soft, which can lead to pain and bone deformity. Bones need calcium and phosphate to stay strong, and without the proper levels of vitamin D in the body, bones are unable to absorb enough calcium and phosphate minerals to remain healthy. These weaker bones are prone to bowing and breaks.

Continue Learning about Osteomalacia

What do I need to know about caring for someone with osteomalacia?
If you are caring for someone with osteomalacia, be aware of their pain and symptoms. Achiness in th...
What increases my risk of developing osteomalacia?
Lack of sunlight can increase your risk of developing osteomalacia because sunlight aids in vitamin ...
What is osteomalacia?
NewYork-Presbyterian HospitalNewYork-Presbyterian Hospital
Osteomalacia is a metabolic bone disease characterized by abnormal mineralization of bone.
How do medications treat osteomalacia?
Oral supplements or injections of vitamin D can help to restore proper levels of vitamin D in the bo...