How is osteomalacia diagnosed?

Doctors use blood tests to measure the levels of vitamin D, calcium, and phosphate in the body. X-rays can help view the condition of the bones and the presence of any cracks or fractures. In some cases, your doctor may take a biopsy of bone tissue for further examination under a microscope.

Continue Learning about Osteomalacia

Can osteomalacia be prevented?
Osteomalacia caused by insufficient sunlight or vitamin D deficient diets can be prevented. To help ...
What is osteomalacia?
Osteomalacia is a bone disorder in adults, similar to rickets in children. It is caused by a lack of...
Are there alternative treatments for osteomalacia?
To treat the vitamin D deficiency that leads to osteomalacia, your doctor may prescribe more time in...
Should I talk to my doctor about my osteomalacia symptoms?
Talk to your doctor about achiness in your bones as well as any changes in your muscle mass or your ...