Can osteomalacia be prevented?

Osteomalacia caused by insufficient sunlight or vitamin D deficient diets can be prevented. To help prevent osteomalacia:

• add a daily vitamin D supplement to your diet;
  • eat foods rich in vitamin D such as milk, egg yolks, sardines, salmon, and mackerel;
  • drink vitamin D fortified orange juice or consume fortified cereals and bread.

Depending on where you live, daily sun exposure is also a good way to prevent osteomalacia. Sun promotes vitamin D production in the body.

Continue Learning about Osteomalacia

What are the treatment options for osteomalacia?
The most common treatment for osteomalacia is to work on increasing the levels of vitamin D in the b...
How do medications treat osteomalacia?
Oral supplements or injections of vitamin D can help to restore proper levels of vitamin D in the bo...
What is osteomalacia?
Osteomalacia is a bone disorder in adults, similar to rickets in children. It is caused by a lack of...
Should I talk to my doctor about my osteomalacia symptoms?
Talk to your doctor about achiness in your bones as well as any changes in your muscle mass or your ...