Are there alternative treatments for osteomalacia?

To treat the vitamin D deficiency that leads to osteomalacia, your doctor may prescribe more time in the sun. Exposure to sunlight causes the body to produce vitamin D; however, overexposure to sunlight carries its own risks. Drinking milk and eating vitamin D-rich foods such as fortified orange juice and fortified cereals can also increase vitamin D in the body.

Continue Learning about Osteomalacia

What is adult rickets?
Adult rickets, or osteomalacia, is a bone weakness caused by a vitamin D deficiency, much like the c...
How does osteomalacia affect the body?
Osteomalacia causes the bones to become soft, which can lead to pain and bone deformity. Bones need ...
How do I manage my osteomalacia on a daily basis?
Depending upon the levels of vitamin D, calcium, and phosphorus in your body, you may need to take d...
What is osteomalacia?
Osteomalacia is a bone disorder in adults, similar to rickets in children. It is caused by a lack of...