Are there alternative treatments for osteomalacia?

To treat the vitamin D deficiency that leads to osteomalacia, your doctor may prescribe more time in the sun. Exposure to sunlight causes the body to produce vitamin D; however, overexposure to sunlight carries its own risks. Drinking milk and eating vitamin D-rich foods such as fortified orange juice and fortified cereals can also increase vitamin D in the body.

Continue Learning about Osteomalacia

What do I need to know about caring for someone with osteomalacia?
If you are caring for someone with osteomalacia, be aware of their pain and symptoms. Achiness in th...
Can osteomalacia be prevented?
Osteomalacia caused by insufficient sunlight or vitamin D deficient diets can be prevented. To help ...
What increases my risk of developing osteomalacia?
Lack of sunlight can increase your risk of developing osteomalacia because sunlight aids in vitamin ...
How do I manage my osteomalacia on a daily basis?
Depending upon the levels of vitamin D, calcium, and phosphorus in your body, you may need to take d...