What causes small knots under my skin in my finger joints?

Noel Henley, MD
Orthopedic Surgery
There are several possibilities. The most common cause is a small benign nodule called a Heberden's node which forms along with osteoarthritis at the tip of the finger. A similar nodule called Bouchard's node forms over the PIP joint in the middle of the finger.

These nodules are an early sign of arthritis and the arthritis may not be painful at this stage.

Other causes may include ganglion cysts or "knuckle pads" which are associated with a problem called Dupuytren's disease.

Continue Learning about Osteoarthritis

Exercising Too Much (or Too Little) Can Harm Your Knees
Whether you’re training for a marathon or barely getting off the couch after work, you could be doing a real number on your knees. Both intense exerci...
What is osteoarthritis?
Osteoarthritis is a type of arthritis in which damage to cartilage and surrounding tissue in the joi...
Thinking About Knee Surgery? 6 Things to Try First
Thinking About Knee Surgery? 6 Things to Try FirstThinking About Knee Surgery? 6 Things to Try FirstThinking About Knee Surgery? 6 Things to Try FirstThinking About Knee Surgery? 6 Things to Try First
Therapies and tips to help you avoid the surgeon's knife.
At What Age do Osteoarthritis Symptoms Typically Appear?