Can other diseases be mistaken for osteoarthritis?

Yes, there are many other conditions that can mimic osteoarthritis. One commonly mistaken condition is Rheumatoid arthritis, which is an immune problem.  Osteoarthritis however is due to repeated motion and wear and tear over time. So, the treatment would be different, even though they appear quite similar in presentation. Another condition is Lyme disease, an infection caused by tick exposure. So, best to have your physician examine you, because the list of possibilities is exhausting

Continue Learning about Osteoarthritis

Exercising Too Much (or Too Little) Can Harm Your Knees
Whether you’re training for a marathon or barely getting off the couch after work, you could be doing a real number on your knees. Both intense exerci...
What could cause a hard growth and pain in my thumb joint?
Anthony L. Komaroff, MDAnthony L. Komaroff, MD
The most likely explanation is osteoarthritis.This is also called degenerative joint disease. It is ...
Thinking About Knee Surgery? 6 Things to Try First
Thinking About Knee Surgery? 6 Things to Try FirstThinking About Knee Surgery? 6 Things to Try FirstThinking About Knee Surgery? 6 Things to Try FirstThinking About Knee Surgery? 6 Things to Try First
Therapies and tips to help you avoid the surgeon's knife.
When Should I Have a Joint Replaced?
When Should I Have a Joint Replaced?