Why should I do physical therapy before I have joint surgery?

Two to three weeks of physical therapy prior to joint replacement surgery can make a very big difference in your postoperative recovery. For one, it's a better opportunity for you to learn exercises and to take in the information that will prepare you for surgery. Your doctor can also clean up any small, ancillary problems that may have arisen due to the dysfunction, so that postoperatively, it's easier to focus specifically on the joint.

Physical therapy is usually started within the first few days following dismissal from the hospital. Your healthcare team will take care of you postoperatively, allowing you to start rehabilitation very early.

Continue Learning about Osteoarthritis Treatment

Ease Knee Osteoarthritis Pain With These Alternative Remedies
Don’t get sidelined by pain from knee osteoarthritis. Integrative medicine expert Robin Miller, MD, explains how Eastern therapies—including acupunctu...
When should I have foot surgery for osteoarthritis?
Dr. Joan R. Williams, MDDr. Joan R. Williams, MD
Foot surgery for osteoarthritis is often considered if the pain from osteoarthritis gets to the poin...
Does acupuncture help relieve osteoarthritis pain?
Acupuncture stimulates certain points on the body to relieve chronic pain. But does it work for arth...
How Can Having Sex Lessen Osteoarthritis Pain?