How will my pain be managed after knee replacement surgery?

Donna Hill Howes, RN
Family Medicine
Pain following knee replacement surgery can be difficult at first. The pain gets better after the first few days, but it is normal to have some pain for several weeks afterward. In the hospital your pain will probably be managed with powerful intravenous painkillers that you can control yourself. After a few days, you will probably need less pain medication and can switch to pills. Your doctor will probably give you pain medication to take at home for the first few weeks. You can also help reduce the pain and swelling with ice packs and resting with your leg elevated. If you feel you need more help controlling your pain, talk to your doctor.

Continue Learning about Osteoarthritis Treatment

Ease Knee Osteoarthritis Pain With These Alternative Remedies
Don’t get sidelined by pain from knee osteoarthritis. Integrative medicine expert Robin Miller, MD, explains how Eastern therapies—including acupunctu...
How do I know if knee replacement surgery is right for me?
To decide if knee replacement surgery is right for you, discuss the pros and cons with your orth...
Is there a cure for osteoarthritis?
While there is no cure for osteoarthritis, there are numerous effective options to help manage the s...
Is Your Back Pain Osteoarthritis?
Is Your Back Pain Osteoarthritis?