How will my pain be managed after joint replacement surgery?

Scott D. Martin, MD
Orthopedic Surgery
If you had an anesthesia line in your back after joint replacement therapy, it may be left in place for a day or two to administer medication to keep your lower body pain-free. Otherwise you initially receive pain medication through an IV. If your doctor has recommended patient-controlled anesthesia, you push a button to administer pain-killing drugs into your IV as you need them; the machine is programmed so you cannot use too much medication. After a while, you switch to oral painkillers. Don't hesitate to use the medications. Pain is easier to control before it becomes intolerable. Taking medication 30 to 60 minutes before physical therapy helps you perform the exercises. In addition, the medication can help relieve pain and swelling, particularly after activity.
Donna Hill Howes, RN
Family Medicine
While you are in the hospital after joint replacement surgery, your pain will likely be managed with intravenous painkillers you control yourself. After a few days, you may be able to manage your symptoms with pain-relieving pills. After you leave the hospital, your doctor will probably prescribe more pills for pain control. 

Continue Learning about Osteoarthritis Treatment

Ease Knee Osteoarthritis Pain With These Alternative Remedies
Don’t get sidelined by pain from knee osteoarthritis. Integrative medicine expert Robin Miller, MD, explains how Eastern therapies—including acupunctu...
What are the goals for osteoarthritis treatment?
Dr. Daniel R. Spogen, MDDr. Daniel R. Spogen, MD
The goals for osteoarthritis treatment are to limit progression of the arthritis and to maintain fun...
How can I know if orthotics will help my osteoarthritis?
Sigma NursingSigma Nursing
There is inconsistent evidence on the effectiveness of foot orthotics in relieving osteoarthritis sy...
How Is Osteoarthritis Treated?
How Is Osteoarthritis Treated?