Do I need anesthesia to get invisible (lingual) braces?

You will not need anesthesia when getting invisible (lingual) braces fitted. The process of getting invisible braces is usually painless. The orthodontist might temporarily place spacers in between the teeth to make room for the braces, which may cause soreness.

The orthodontist bonds, or glues the brackets onto the backside of your teeth to apply invisible braces. Because the braces are on the inside of your mouth, you will have to open your mouth wide for the orthodontist.

You may experience some gum or tooth soreness after each adjustment, because the teeth are moving. The soreness lasts only a few days, and indicates that the invisible  braces are working.

Continue Learning about Orthodontics

How do I know if traditional braces are right for me?
Jonathan B. Levine, DMDJonathan B. Levine, DMD
Dental brackets (braces) are right for you if: You're below the age of eighteen. Your case is ...
Are braces magnetized?
Gregory J. Jorgensen, DMDGregory J. Jorgensen, DMD
Orthodontic braces can be constructed out of many different materials: plastic, crystal, porcelain, ...
Do orthodontists charge more than dentists?
Gregory R. Cannizzo, DDSGregory R. Cannizzo, DDS
According to a recent survey by a dental web site their results from this same question found that C...
What are space maintainers made of?
A space maintainer, which a device that keeps a space open where a baby tooth has fallen out too soo...