Does my child need anesthesia to get invisible (lingual) braces?

Your child will not need anesthesia when getting invisible (lingual) braces fitted. The process of getting invisible braces is usually painless. The orthodontist might temporarily place spacers in between your child's teeth to make room for the braces. This may cause soreness.

The orthodontist bonds, or glues the brackets onto the backside of your child's teeth to apply invisible (lingual) braces. Because the braces are on the inside of your child's mouth, he will have to open his mouth wide for the orthodontist.

Your child may experience some gum or tooth soreness after each adjustment because the teeth are moving. The soreness lasts only a few days, and indicates that the invisible braces are working.

Continue Learning about Orthodontics

Can wearing braces boost my self-confidence?
Wearing braces can boost your self-confidence, even while you are wearing them. It is encouraging to...
Should I eat differently if I have braces?
American Dental AssociationAmerican Dental Association
While you have braces it’s important to maintain a balanced diet for the health of your teeth. Of co...
How do I take care of my teeth if I have braces?
Braces can be dislodged by chewing hard foods or candy, or even chewing on things like pencils. It i...
Are braces affordable?
Gregory J. Jorgensen, DMDGregory J. Jorgensen, DMD
Braces are one of the best values in medicine today. My son had Lasik surgery this past summer and t...