Why might my child not like wearing clear braces?

Children wearing braces can expect some discomfort from the pressure on their teeth. The braces may also cause difficulty speaking or eating, although clear plastic aligners can be removed for eating and cleaning. Brackets require special efforts to keep them clean because food and plaque can get trapped between teeth and gums. Children may be disappointed to find out that they must avoid hard foods such as candy, raw carrots, corn on the cob, pretzels, nuts, popcorn, and crushed ice, as well as sticky foods including caramel, taffy, and gum while wearing their brackets.

Continue Learning about Orthodontics

What are orthodontic braces made of?
Orthodontic braces are made of non-magnetized materials of different types, including plastic, metal...
Can wearing braces boost my self-confidence?
Wearing braces can boost your self-confidence, even while you are wearing them. It is encouraging to...
Am I too old to get braces?
Dante A. Gonzales, DMDDante A. Gonzales, DMD
The most common age for getting braces is 11 to 12. However, Dante Gonzales, DMD, explains in this v...
Will braces make it hard for me to play musical instruments?
Because braces are fixed on the front surface of the teeth, it can affect the playing of some musica...