When should I call the orthodontist after getting a wire dental retainer?

Your orthodontist may follow up with you for a period of time after you get your wire dental retainer. At any point, though, if you feel that a piece of the cement might have chipped off or there are sharp edges from the wire or glue, call your orthodontist. You also want to make sure the retainer fits properly on your teeth so they don’t shift position.
Gregory J. Jorgensen, DMD
Orthodontics & Dentofacial Orthopedics
The purpose of a retainer is to keep your teeth straight after orthdontic treatment. If you feel that your teeth are moving where they shouldn't, you are getting a sore because of your retainer, or if your retainer seems broken or out of adjustment, you should call orthodontist right away. You may need to have your retainer adjusted or replaced.

Continue Learning about Orthodontics

What are orthodontic braces made of?
Orthodontic braces are made of non-magnetized materials of different types, including plastic, metal...
Can adults use braces to straighten their teeth?
Discovery HealthDiscovery Health
Braces, also called orthodontics, can improve the appearance of teeth in both children and in adults...
When shopping for braces, what should I ask?
There are many questions you should ask before purchasing an orthodontic treatment plan, such as the...
What are complications of getting a clear plastic dental retainer?
Dustin S. Burleson, DDSDustin S. Burleson, DDS
In a recent on-line poll of orthodontic offices 64% of the responding specialists reported using cle...