Can I get titanium braces if I am pregnant?

Gregory J. Jorgensen, DMD
Orthodontics & Dentofacial Orthopedics
Having braces while you are pregnant will be no problem at all. There are two things that you need to be careful of however, swollen gums and x-rays. Pregnancy changes the hormonal balance of your body while you're expecting and that change can cause "pregnancy gingivitis" or swollen gums. This is really just an exagerated response to plaque that is ever present in your mouth. The fix is just improved oral hygiene. The x-ray issue is simple... notify your orthodontist that you are pregnant and do not allow him or his staff to take any x-rays of your mouth until after you've delivered.

Continue Learning about Orthodontics

Is orthodontic treatment necessary?
Gregory J. Jorgensen, DMDGregory J. Jorgensen, DMD
Orthodontic treatment not only makes your smile look better, it also make the teeth easier to care f...
What is a space maintainer?
A space maintainer is a device to keep a space open where a baby tooth has fallen out too soon. Baby...
What causes crooked teeth and misaligned bites?
Miriam T. FurlongMiriam T. Furlong
You can inherit traits like a small jaw, big teeth, or missing teeth from your parents that can lead...
What's the difference between a dentist and an orthodontist?
Arnold I. Liebman, DDSArnold I. Liebman, DDS
An orthodontist is a dental specialist who has completed additional years of post-graduate training ...