When should I call the orthodontist after I get a space maintainer?

Gregory J. Jorgensen, DMD
Orthodontics & Dentofacial Orthopedics
Having a little discomfort for a day or two after starting with any new appliance is to be expected and is normal. What isn't normal is when there is swelling, bleeding, or any other problem with the teeth or gums that just seems unreasonable. You should also call your orthodontist if there is a part of the space maintainer that is persistenly irritating you or you notice somthing that just doesn't seem right. There are also many simple orthodontic emergencies that you can take care of at home.

My blog post called "Home Remedies for Orthodonic Emergencies" has some helpful ideas:

If you are in doubt, don't hesitate to call your doctor's office. They'll let you know what you should do. Good luck!
After your child gets a space maintainer, you should certainly contact the dentist or orthodontist if there is any unusual pain or discomfort. Otherwise, the dentist will schedule regular follow-up visits in order to take x-rays to monitor the progress of the incoming permanent tooth. When the permanent tooth is ready to erupt, the space maintainer will be removed.

Continue Learning about Orthodontics

Are orthodontists only needed for difficult cases?
American Dental AssociationAmerican Dental Association
If you have an abnormal bite your dentist may recommend braces or another orthodontic treatment to s...
More Answers
Can adults use braces to straighten their teeth?
Dante A. Gonzales, DMDDante A. Gonzales, DMD
Age is usually not the major factor in planning orthodontic treatment, but of more importance is the...
More Answers
When should I take my child to see an orthodontist?
Gregory J. Jorgensen, DMDGregory J. Jorgensen, DMD
The American Association of Orthodontists recommends that all children be screened by an orthodontis...
More Answers
What's the difference between a dentist and an orthodontist?
American Dental AssociationAmerican Dental Association
Generally, three or more years of undergraduate education plus four years of dental school is requir...
More Answers

Important: This content reflects information from various individuals and organizations and may offer alternative or opposing points of view. It should not be used for medical advice, diagnosis or treatment. As always, you should consult with your healthcare provider about your specific health needs.