When should I call the orthodontist after I get a space maintainer?

After your child gets a space maintainer, you should certainly contact the dentist or orthodontist if there is any unusual pain or discomfort. Otherwise, the dentist will schedule regular follow-up visits in order to take x-rays to monitor the progress of the incoming permanent tooth. When the permanent tooth is ready to erupt, the space maintainer will be removed.
Gregory J. Jorgensen, DMD
Orthodontics & Dentofacial Orthopedics
Having a little discomfort for a day or two after starting with any new appliance is to be expected and is normal. What isn't normal is when there is swelling, bleeding, or any other problem with the teeth or gums that just seems unreasonable. You should also call your orthodontist if there is a part of the space maintainer that is persistenly irritating you or you notice somthing that just doesn't seem right. There are also many simple orthodontic emergencies that you can take care of at home.

My blog post called "Home Remedies for Orthodonic Emergencies" has some helpful ideas: http://www.gregjorgensen.com/blog/2011/05/home-remedies-for-orthodontic-emergencies/

If you are in doubt, don't hesitate to call your doctor's office. They'll let you know what you should do. Good luck!

Continue Learning about Orthodontics

How can an orthodontist help straighten my teeth?
American Dental AssociationAmerican Dental Association
Orthodontics are used to treat a malocclusion ("bad bite"), to straighten teeth, and to correct ...
How do I know if invisaligns are right for me?
Jonathan B. Levine, DMDJonathan B. Levine, DMD
Invisaligns are right for you if: Your condition involves tipping or rotation of teeth. Think of...
How do I know if traditional braces are right for me?
Dental brackets (braces) are right for you if: You're below the age of eighteen. Your case is ...
How do braces and retainers work?
Miriam T. FurlongMiriam T. Furlong
To put it simply, braces and retainers are 2 kinds of orthodontic appliances that place pressure on ...