When should I call the orthodontist after getting invisible braces?

Call your orthodontist if you think one of the brackets or wires on your invisible (lingual) braces is broken. These wires and brackets can break if you eat sticky or hard foods, like caramel or crusty bread. If a wire or bracket is poking you, and you can’t bend the wire back so that it isn’t sharp, call your orthodontist. In the meantime, cover the sharp wire with wax available from your dentist or a drugstore.

Expect to have some soreness for a few days after each adjustment. It is not necessary to call the orthodontist about such soreness.
Gregory J. Jorgensen, DMD
Orthodontics & Dentofacial Orthopedics
If you are having your teeth moved for any length of time, chances are you are going to have an orthodontic emergency. These emergencies can be in the form of trauma to the mouth, loose braces or wires, teeth moving where they shouldn't, or spaces appearing where weren't before. If you feel that there is something going on with your teeth during treatment that shouldn't be, give your orthodontist a call. It is better to be safe than sorry!

Continue Learning about Orthodontics

Do orthodontists charge more than dentists?
Gregory R. Cannizzo, DDSGregory R. Cannizzo, DDS
According to a recent survey by a dental web site their results from this same question found that C...
How do I floss if I have braces?
Carol JahnCarol Jahn
One of the very best products for people of any age with braces is an oral irrigator/water flosser. ...
How do I know if traditional braces are right for me?
Jonathan B. Levine, DMDJonathan B. Levine, DMD
Dental brackets (braces) are right for you if: You're below the age of eighteen. Your case is ...
What tools can help me keep my braces and teeth clean?
Carol JahnCarol Jahn
One of the best tools for cleaning around braces is a water flosser. A water flosser with a speciali...