When should I call the orthodontist after my child gets clear braces?

You should call the orthodontist after your child gets clear braces if he has any of the following problems:

• pain that won't go away
  • mouth sores or ulcers
  • poking metal ties
  • wires hanging out
  • missing elastic ties
  • loose or broken brackets
  • loose bands
  • damage from an injury

Your child's orthodontist will be able to treat or repair these problems.

Gregory J. Jorgensen, DMD
Orthodontics & Dentofacial Orthopedics
Having a little discomfort for a day or two after starting with any new treatment is to be expected and is normal. What isn't normal is when there is swelling, bleeding, or any other problem with the teeth or gums that just seems unreasonable. You should also call your orthodontist if there is of the new braces that is persistenly irritating you or you notice somthing that just doesn't seem right. There are also many simple orthodontic emergencies that you can take care of at home. My blog post called "Home Remedies for Orthodonic Emergencies" has some helpful ideas:

http://www.gregjorgensen.com/blog/2011/05/home-remedies-for-orthodontic-emergencies/

If you are in doubt, don't hesitate to call your doctor's office. They'll let you know what you should do. Good luck!

Continue Learning about Orthodontics

Are orthodontists only needed for difficult cases?
Gregory J. Jorgensen, DMDGregory J. Jorgensen, DMD
This is a trick question because it may take an orthodontist to determine whether or not a case is d...
What if I get a canker sore while wearing braces?
Canker sores are common while wearing braces. Cankers are sores that develop on the gums or inside t...
How do I floss if I have braces?
Carol JahnCarol Jahn
One of the very best products for people of any age with braces is an oral irrigator/water flosser. ...
Can adults use braces to straighten their teeth?
Discovery HealthDiscovery Health
Braces, also called orthodontics, can improve the appearance of teeth in both children and in adults...