When should I call a doctor after my child gets orthodontic night guard?

Gregory J. Jorgensen, DMD
Orthodontics & Dentofacial Orthopedics
Having a little discomfort for a day or two after starting with any new appliance is to be expected and is normal. What isn't normal is when there is swelling, bleeding, or any other problem with the teeth or gums that just seems unreasonable. You should also call your orthodontist if there is a part of your child's night guard that is persistenly irritating them or you notice somthing that just doesn't seem right. There are also many simple orthodontic emergencies that you can take care of at home.

My blog post called "Home Remedies for Orthodonic Emergencies" has some helpful ideas: http://www.gregjorgensen.com/blog/2011/05/home-remedies-for-orthodontic-emergencies/

If you are in doubt, don't hesitate to call your doctor's office. They'll let you know what you should do. Good luck!

Continue Learning about Orthodontics

What is a space maintainer?
A space maintainer is a device to keep a space open where a baby tooth has fallen out too soon. Baby...
What are space maintainers made of?
A space maintainer, which a device that keeps a space open where a baby tooth has fallen out too soo...
Are braces affordable?
Gregory J. Jorgensen, DMDGregory J. Jorgensen, DMD
Braces are one of the best values in medicine today. My son had Lasik surgery this past summer and t...
How do I know if traditional braces are right for me?
Jonathan B. Levine, DMDJonathan B. Levine, DMD
Dental brackets (braces) are right for you if: You're below the age of eighteen. Your case is ...