When should I call the orthodontist after my child gets invisible braces?

Gregory J. Jorgensen, DMD
Orthodontics & Dentofacial Orthopedics
Having a little discomfort for a day or two after an orthodontic adjustment, especially just after getting started, is to be expected and is normal. What isn't normal is when there is swelling, bleeding, or any other problem with the teeth or gums that just seems unreasonable. You should also call your orthodontist if you have a wire or bracket that is persistenly poking and cannot be covered with wax, a loose bracket, or you notice somthing that just doesn't seem right (a space appears right before ending treatment for example). There are also many simple orthodontic emergencies that you can take care of at home.

My blog post called "Home Remedies for Orthodonic Emergencies" has some helpful ideas: http://www.gregjorgensen.com/blog/2011/05/home-remedies-for-orthodontic-emergencies/

If you are in doubt, don't hesitate to call your doctor's office. They'll let you know what you should do. Good luck!
Call your child's orthodontist you think a bracket or wire on her invisible (lingual) braces is broken. These wires and brackets can break if she eats sticky or hard foods, like caramel or crusty bread. If a wire or bracket is poking her, and you can’t bend the wire back so that it isn’t sharp, call her orthodontist. In the meantime, cover the sharp wire with wax available from the dentist or a drugstore.

Expect to for your child to have some soreness for a few days after each adjustment. It is not necessary to call the orthodontist about such soreness.

Continue Learning about Orthodontics

What tests can determine if I need to be treated for crooked teeth?
American Dental AssociationAmerican Dental Association
Braces and orthodontic treatment are used to correct “bad bites,” or malocclusion (teeth that are cr...
What tools can help me keep my braces and teeth clean?
Dante A. Gonzales, DMDDante A. Gonzales, DMD
Keeping your teeth clean with braces can be difficult. The best tools to use are still a toothbrush ...
How can early orthodontic treatment help my child's self-esteem?
Early, or Phase I, orthodontic treatment can help correct problems like severe crowding, teeth that ...
Do I have to see my dentist if I am also seeing my orthodontist?
Yes, your primary dentist is still the best caretaker of your overall dental health. Your orthodonti...