When should I call the orthodontist after my child gets invisible braces?

Call your child's orthodontist you think a bracket or wire on her invisible (lingual) braces is broken. These wires and brackets can break if she eats sticky or hard foods, like caramel or crusty bread. If a wire or bracket is poking her, and you can’t bend the wire back so that it isn’t sharp, call her orthodontist. In the meantime, cover the sharp wire with wax available from the dentist or a drugstore.

Expect to for your child to have some soreness for a few days after each adjustment. It is not necessary to call the orthodontist about such soreness.
Gregory J. Jorgensen, DMD
Orthodontics & Dentofacial Orthopedics
Having a little discomfort for a day or two after an orthodontic adjustment, especially just after getting started, is to be expected and is normal. What isn't normal is when there is swelling, bleeding, or any other problem with the teeth or gums that just seems unreasonable. You should also call your orthodontist if you have a wire or bracket that is persistenly poking and cannot be covered with wax, a loose bracket, or you notice somthing that just doesn't seem right (a space appears right before ending treatment for example). There are also many simple orthodontic emergencies that you can take care of at home.

My blog post called "Home Remedies for Orthodonic Emergencies" has some helpful ideas: http://www.gregjorgensen.com/blog/2011/05/home-remedies-for-orthodontic-emergencies/

If you are in doubt, don't hesitate to call your doctor's office. They'll let you know what you should do. Good luck!

Continue Learning about Orthodontics

What causes crooked teeth and misaligned bites?
Miriam T. FurlongMiriam T. Furlong
You can inherit traits like a small jaw, big teeth, or missing teeth from your parents that can lead...
How old do I have to be to start wearing braces on my teeth?
American Dental AssociationAmerican Dental Association
Since abnormal bites usually become noticeable between the ages of 6 and 12, orthodontic treatment o...
Why do some people have crooked teeth and misaligned bites?
Bad bite, or malocclusion, is when teeth that are crowded or crooked. In some cases your teeth may b...
What are space maintainers made of?
A space maintainer, which a device that keeps a space open where a baby tooth has fallen out too soo...