What does a wire dental retainer treat?

A wire dental retainer keeps your teeth in place and in correct alignment after your braces do the hard work of moving the teeth into the right position. The retainer is used in the “retention” phase of treatment, much like a retaining wall holds back the earth behind it. Teeth are forced to move to a new position during the “active” phase of treatment (braces), and may shift back to that prior, incorrect position without a retainer to keep them in place.

Continue Learning about Orthodontics

How can early orthodontic treatment help my child's self-esteem?
Dante A. Gonzales, DMDDante A. Gonzales, DMD
Early, or Phase I, orthodontic treatment can help correct problems like severe crowding, teeth that ...
When shopping for braces, what should I ask?
There are many questions you should ask before purchasing an orthodontic treatment plan, such as the...
How do I know if invisaligns are right for me?
Jonathan B. Levine, DMDJonathan B. Levine, DMD
Invisaligns are right for you if: Your condition involves tipping or rotation of teeth. Think of...
Am I too old to get braces?
The most common age for getting braces is 11 to 12. However, Dante Gonzales, DMD, explains in this v...