What is a wire dental retainer?

A wire dental retainer is a thin, multistrand wire that is bonded or glued to the teeth to keep them from moving. Usually the wire retainer is recommended for use after orthodontic treatment, when the teeth are correctly positioned. Unlike removable retainers made with plastic and metal wires, the wire dental retainer is fixed into the mouth and remains attached to your teeth until your dentist or orthodontist removes it. 

Continue Learning about Orthodontics

How old do I have to be to start wearing braces on my teeth?
American Dental AssociationAmerican Dental Association
Since abnormal bites usually become noticeable between the ages of 6 and 12, orthodontic treatment o...
How can an orthodontist help straighten my teeth?
Orthodontics are used to treat a malocclusion ("bad bite"), to straighten teeth, and to correct ...
What causes crooked teeth and misaligned bites?
Miriam T. FurlongMiriam T. Furlong
You can inherit traits like a small jaw, big teeth, or missing teeth from your parents that can lead...
Why is orthodontic treatment important?
Dante A. Gonzales, DMDDante A. Gonzales, DMD
Orthodontic treatment is important in order to establish a proper bite and a proper alignment of the...