What is the right way to care for a space maintainer?

The right way to care for a dental space maintainer includes brushing regularly to keep the gum tissue healthy. The child should also avoid hard or sticky foods and chewing gum, since they can loosen the band or get caught in the wire arm of the space maintainer. Your child also should avoid pushing on the space maintainer with his or her tongue or fingers, since this, too, can bend or loosen it.

Continue Learning about Orthodontics

How should I brush my teeth if I have braces?
Dr. Saul N. Miller, DDSDr. Saul N. Miller, DDS
Essentially the same principles of good brushing still apply; however, it may be a challenge to acco...
Do I have to wear braces on the outside of my teeth?
Jerry P. Gordon, DMDJerry P. Gordon, DMD
Most traditional braces are worn on the outside of the teeth, but there are alternatives. Braces ca...
What is orthodontics?
Dante A. Gonzales, DMDDante A. Gonzales, DMD
Orthodontics is the oldest specialties of dentistry and is focused on the alignment of the teeth and...
What is an orthodontist?
Gregory J. Jorgensen, DMDGregory J. Jorgensen, DMD
An orthodontist is a dental specialist who first became a general dentist (usually 4 years of traini...