What should I think about when deciding if I want clear braces?

If you are considering clear plastic braces -- either brackets or aligners -- think about the advantages and disadvantages. The primary advantage compared to traditional braces is that they are less noticeable. An advantage of clear plastic aligners is that they can be removed for eating or cleaning. The disadvantage of clear plastic aligners is that they don't work for the most severe kinds of problems, and some research suggests they don't work as well on most problems. Clear ceramic or plastic brackets can be used for severe problems, but they are more brittle than metal brackets, so they break more often. Because there is more friction on the wires connecting them, it may take them longer to move teeth.

Continue Learning about Orthodontics

What are space maintainers made of?
A space maintainer, which a device that keeps a space open where a baby tooth has fallen out too soo...
What is orthodontics?
Dante A. Gonzales, DMDDante A. Gonzales, DMD
Orthodontics is the oldest specialties of dentistry and is focused on the alignment of the teeth and...
What early orthodontic treatments are used for children?
Dustin S. Burleson, DDSDustin S. Burleson, DDS
Some of the more common early orthodontic treatments that may help children include: Braces. Some...
Should I eat differently if I have braces?
American Dental AssociationAmerican Dental Association
While you have braces it’s important to maintain a balanced diet for the health of your teeth. Of co...