What is the success rate of a wire dental retainer?

Dental wire retainers have been found to be very successful and effective in keeping teeth in the correct alignment. If the wire is properly bonded to the teeth, wire dental retainers can last more than 15 years.

According to one study, 63% of bonded wire retainers lasted at least 3.5 years, and those that had problems usually failed within the first six months, either with the glue chipping off or the wire breaking. Another study found that the retainers detached 10 to 15% of the time. Overall, however, if properly made, affixed to the teeth, and well maintained, the dental wire retainer should last many years.

Continue Learning about Orthodontics

How do braces and retainers work?
Miriam T. FurlongMiriam T. Furlong
To put it simply, braces and retainers are 2 kinds of orthodontic appliances that place pressure on ...
How do I know if invisaligns are right for me?
Jonathan B. Levine, DMDJonathan B. Levine, DMD
Invisaligns are right for you if: Your condition involves tipping or rotation of teeth. Think of...
Am I too old to get braces?
Dante A. Gonzales, DMDDante A. Gonzales, DMD
The most common age for getting braces is 11 to 12. However, Dante Gonzales, DMD, explains in this v...
Are antimicrobial rinses okay if I wear braces?
If you wear braces, antimicrobial or antibacterial rinses might only be okay if you are an adult. Th...