What is the success rate of a clear plastic dental retainer?

The success of a dental retainer depends on how each person uses it. If you follow your orthodontist’s advice and wear the retainer for the length of time that he or she tells you to, you can expect to achieve the best results. If you only wear your retainer sporadically or not at all, you may undo the positive results that your braces had achieved, or your treatment may not be a success.

Continue Learning about Orthodontics

How should I brush my teeth if I have braces?
Dr. Saul N. Miller, DDSDr. Saul N. Miller, DDS
Essentially the same principles of good brushing still apply; however, it may be a challenge to acco...
What are complications of getting a clear plastic dental retainer?
Dustin S. Burleson, DDSDustin S. Burleson, DDS
In a recent on-line poll of orthodontic offices 64% of the responding specialists reported using cle...
How can an orthodontist help straighten my teeth?
American Dental AssociationAmerican Dental Association
Orthodontics are used to treat a malocclusion ("bad bite"), to straighten teeth, and to correct ...
How old do I have to be to start wearing braces on my teeth?
Since abnormal bites usually become noticeable between the ages of 6 and 12, orthodontic treatment o...