What is the success rate of clear braces?

The success rate of clear braces -- either brackets or aligners -- depends on which type you use and what kind of problem you are trying to treat. Some research suggests that clear plastic aligners are not as effective as traditional metal brackets. But the American Association of Orthodontists has stated that they may be used "to correct some problems." With clear ceramic or plastic braces, there may be more friction between the wires and the brackets, so they may take longer to work.

Continue Learning about Orthodontics

Do I have to see my dentist if I am also seeing my orthodontist?
Katherine T. Vo, DDSKatherine T. Vo, DDS
Yes, you do have to see your general dentist while going through treatment with your orthodontist. I...
What is an orthodontist?
Gregory J. Jorgensen, DMDGregory J. Jorgensen, DMD
An orthodontist is a dental specialist who first became a general dentist (usually 4 years of traini...
Do I have to wear braces on the outside of my teeth?
Jerry P. Gordon, DMDJerry P. Gordon, DMD
Most traditional braces are worn on the outside of the teeth, but there are alternatives. Braces ca...
Will braces make it hard for me to play musical instruments?
Because braces are fixed on the front surface of the teeth, it can affect the playing of some musica...