What are the risks of getting a removable dental space maintainer?

Possible risks of getting a removable space maintainer include forgetting to put the device back in your mouth and failing to care for it properly. If the removable space maintainer is not worn regularly, it will not be able to do its job. This can be a problem with younger children, who may either forget to wear the space maintainer or resist putting it back in. This is why removable space maintainers generally work best in older children, who can reliably follow directions for proper use.

Continue Learning about Orthodontics

Can wearing braces boost my self-confidence?
Wearing braces can boost your self-confidence, even while you are wearing them. It is encouraging to...
Are antimicrobial rinses okay if I wear braces?
If you wear braces, antimicrobial or antibacterial rinses might only be okay if you are an adult. Th...
What are orthodontic braces made of?
Orthodontic braces are made of non-magnetized materials of different types, including plastic, metal...
Can adults use braces to straighten their teeth?
Discovery HealthDiscovery Health
Braces, also called orthodontics, can improve the appearance of teeth in both children and in adults...