What are the risks of getting invisible (lingual) braces?

Dustin S. Burleson, DDS
Orthodontics & Dentofacial Orthopedics

There are several risks when considering any type of braces, including discomfort, increased risk for decalcification and tooth decay, shortened roots, nerve damage, gum disease and injury from the braces to the gums, lips, cheeks and tongue. Lingual (inside the mouth) braces have a unique risk in delayed adaptation to speaking with these braces. A lisp is common for the first few days with lingual braces and can last as long as two weeks. Typically with practice, any significant speech effects are minimal after two weeks of adapting to the lingual braces.

Continue Learning about Orthodontics

What is an orthodontist?
Gregory J. Jorgensen, DMDGregory J. Jorgensen, DMD
An orthodontist is a dental specialist who first became a general dentist (usually 4 years of traini...
Will braces make it hard for me to play musical instruments?
Because braces are fixed on the front surface of the teeth, it can affect the playing of some musica...
How do braces and retainers work?
Miriam T. FurlongMiriam T. Furlong
To put it simply, braces and retainers are 2 kinds of orthodontic appliances that place pressure on ...
How can an orthodontist help straighten my teeth?
American Dental AssociationAmerican Dental Association
Orthodontics are used to treat a malocclusion ("bad bite"), to straighten teeth, and to correct ...