What does orthodontic reverse pull headgear treat?

Dante A. Gonzales, DMD
Orthodontics & Dentofacial Orthopedics
Reverse pull headgear is an orthopedic appliance used to treat maxillary retrognathia which is where the upper jaw (maxilla) is too far back when compared to the lower jaw (mandible). These patients will ususally have a concave profile and also may have an anterior crossbite, or "underbite". The reverse pull headgear will help pull the upper jaw forward and correct both the skeletal imbalance, in addition to helping correct the bite. Typically, reverse pull headgear is used in younger patients that are still growing.
Miriam T. Furlong
Orthodontics & Dentofacial Orthopedics
A reverse pull headgear pulls the jaw or teeth forward from the rest of the face. Typically it's used to treat an under developed upper jaw, or an underbite.

Typically the headgear has pads that rest on the forehead and chin with a frame between (like a catcher’s mask). The patient attaches rubber bands from braces or some type of anchorage device on the upper teeth or upper jaw, and connects the rubber band to the facemask frame. This pulls the teeth and/or jaw forward.

Continue Learning about Orthodontics

Are antimicrobial rinses okay if I wear braces?
If you wear braces, antimicrobial or antibacterial rinses might only be okay if you are an adult. Th...
How do I take care of my teeth if I have braces?
Braces can be dislodged by chewing hard foods or candy, or even chewing on things like pencils. It i...
What causes crooked teeth and misaligned bites?
Miriam T. FurlongMiriam T. Furlong
You can inherit traits like a small jaw, big teeth, or missing teeth from your parents that can lead...
Am I too old to get braces?
Dante A. Gonzales, DMDDante A. Gonzales, DMD
The most common age for getting braces is 11 to 12. However, Dante Gonzales, DMD, explains in this v...