Why does my child avoid wearing his clear plastic dental retainer?

Your child may avoid wearing his clear plastic dental retainer because at first, it might feel a bit uncomfortable. If your child is having pain or getting cuts in his mouth, go back to the orthodontist for an adjustment. Otherwise, reassure your child that after a few days, he will get used to the retainer.

At first, wearing a dental retainer may affect your child’s ability to speak clearly. He should practice reading aloud for several minutes each day in order to get used to it.

Another reason your child might avoid wearing his retainer is that for the first few days of use, he might notice extra saliva in his mouth or food getting caught in the retainer. Show your child how to care for the retainer properly, so that wearing it can become second nature.

Continue Learning about Orthodontics

Do orthodontists charge more than dentists?
Gregory R. Cannizzo, DDSGregory R. Cannizzo, DDS
According to a recent survey by a dental web site their results from this same question found that C...
What tests can determine if I need to be treated for crooked teeth?
A dentist can conduct a routine examination of your mouth to tell if you need treatment for croo...
How do I know if invisaligns are right for me?
Jonathan B. Levine, DMDJonathan B. Levine, DMD
Invisaligns are right for you if: Your condition involves tipping or rotation of teeth. Think of...
Can wearing braces boost my self-confidence?
Wearing braces can boost your self-confidence, even while you are wearing them. It is encouraging to...