What should I tell the orthodontist before my child gets a wire retainer?

If your orthodontist has been treating your child for braces or another dental issue, he or she should already have a good understanding of your child’s dental health history. However, if your child has gum loss due to gingivitis, or gum disease, you should make sure to tell your orthodontist before your child gets a wire retainer. Gum loss, as well as plaque build-up, can cause  minor problems in some patients who have a wire retainer.

Continue Learning about Orthodontics

Are orthodontists only needed for difficult cases?
Gregory J. Jorgensen, DMDGregory J. Jorgensen, DMD
This is a trick question because it may take an orthodontist to determine whether or not a case is d...
What is malocclusion of the teeth?
Dan JenkinsDan Jenkins
Malocclusion, (literally, unhealthy-bite), can be caused by underdevelopment of the jaws that hold t...
Do I have to wear braces on the outside of my teeth?
Jerry P. Gordon, DMDJerry P. Gordon, DMD
Most traditional braces are worn on the outside of the teeth, but there are alternatives. Braces ca...
What is orthodontics?
Dante A. Gonzales, DMDDante A. Gonzales, DMD
Orthodontics is the oldest specialties of dentistry and is focused on the alignment of the teeth and...